Open Venison Sandwich
Number of Servings
One of our favourite autumnal quick and easy lunches, this open venison sandwich is perfect for using leftovers from a weekend roast using our Parkland Venison Haunch, Saddle or Steaks.
- A small pot of crème fraîche
- 250g chestnuts
- Zest of half a lemon
- Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper
- Left over sliced venison
- A small loaf of rye bread
- Cranberry sauce to serve
- Cut an 'x' into the top of each chestnut and roast in a hot oven for 15 minutes or so.
- Remove from the oven and once cool enough to handle, remove the shells. Place the peeled chestnuts in the bowl of a food processor and blitz until they are evenly broken up.
- Add the créme fraîche to the chestnuts along with the lemon zest, dijon mustard, salt and pepper. Pulse the until the ingredients evenly combined.
- Slice the rye bread into six pieces. Grill or toast the bread in a griddle pan. Spread a generous amount of the chestnut creme onto each piece of toasted bread, add a layer of sliced venison and finish with cranberry sauce.