Schnitzel with Sage Butter
Number of Servings
Fantastic for mid-week meals, these are so easy to rustle up and taste delicious. Serve with a side salad and new potatoes or if you fancy something different to the norm, leave off the butter and instead serve with rice and drizzle some Japanese Tonkatsu sauce over the top. A perfect staple to keep in your freezer.
- 4 saddleback pork escalopes
- 1 egg beaten
- 4 tablespoons seasoned plain flour
- 250g panko breadcrumbs
- Oil for frying
- 150g butter at room temperature
- 10 sage leaves finely chopped
- Grated zest of a lemon
- Salt and pepper
- To prepare the sage butter place the butter, sage leaves and lemon zest in a bowl and mash together with the back of a fork. Scrape the butter mixture out onto a square of cling-film and shape into a sausage, wrapping tightly. Place in the fridge to firm up.
- Lay out 3 containers that are big enough to accommodate the escalopes. Put the seasoned flour in the first, the beaten egg in the second and the breadcrumbs in the third. Coat each piece of pork first in the flour, then the egg and then the breadcrumbs.
- Place a cast iron frying pan over a medium heat. When it is hot add a tablespoon of oil and fry each schnitzel on both sides until golden brown, adding a little extra oil if necessary. Place the schnitzels on an oven tray.
- Fetch the sage butter from the fridge and cut into slices. Place 2 to 3 slices on each schnitzel and place under a hot grill until the butter is bubbling.
- Serve with sautéed potatoes and steamed green beans.
Register your interest
To be the first to know about when we're opening up our store to new customers, fill out your details below.
Please enter your login details to access your account.
Reset your Password
We will send you an email to reset your password.