Soy & Black Pepper Beef
Number of Servings
2 hours approx
Let’s face it, sometimes we fancy something a bit different to the norm and what better way to inspire and excite our taste buds than a twist on an old classic. This Chinese New Year we’ve got a cracker, a black pepper cracked concoction of our Red Ruby Silverside Beef marinated in a Chinese rub.
- 1.5kg-2kg Red Ruby Silverside of Beef
- 1/2 jar of Black Peppercorns
- 5 tbsp Light Soy Sauce
- 5 tbsp Mirin
- 2 tbsp Honey
- 3 cloves Garlic crushed
- 1 thumb of fresh Ginger grated
- Place your beef into a deep roasting tray. In a pestle and mortar, take a handful of peppercorns, the more the merrier if you like your beef extra peppery. Crush and set aside.
- Pat the silverside with some kitchen paper so that it is dry, this way it’ll soak up more of the luscious marinade. Add the soy sauce and the mirin, add the honey and stir to a paste. Crush the garlic and add to the mixture along with the ginger.
- Pour over the beef and massage all over. Cover with cling film and pop in the fridge to marinate overnight or for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat your oven to 200°C.
- Remove the beef from the fridge and allow to come to room temperature.
- Pop into the oven and cook for 30 mins.
- Lower the temperature to 160C and cook for a further 30 mins per 500g for medium rare. Once cooked remove from the oven and set aside to rest for 25 minutes, there’s no need to cover the beef.
- Carve into thin slices and top over pan-fried noodles, steamed rice or in a steamed bun for a delicious alternative to a roast with miso and sesame roasted sweet potato fries.