A scrumptious open-top sandwich to indulge at lunchtime - Rich venison with mild, nutty crème fraîche and chestnuts make this combo a must-try!
Leftovers from Pipers Farm Venison Saddle or Haunch
A small pot of crème fraîche
Zest of half a lemon
Salt and pepper
Leftover sliced venison
A small loaf of rye bread
Cranberry sauce to serve
How many for?
1. Cut an ‘x’ into the top of each chestnut and roast in a hot oven for 15 minutes or so.
2. Remove from the oven and once cool enough to handle, remove the shells. Place the peeled chestnuts in the bowl of a food processor and blitz until they are evenly broken up.
3. Add the créme fraîche to the chestnuts along with the lemon zest, dijon mustard, salt and pepper. Pulse the until the ingredients evenly combined.
4. Slice the rye bread into six pieces. Grill or toast the bread in a griddle pan.
5. Spread a generous amount of the chestnut creme onto each piece of toasted bread, add a layer of sliced venison and finish with cranberry sauce. Phwoar!