Saddleback Pork Ragu
Number of Servings
A lovely way of cooking pork with pasta, deep with flavour and texture this is a real crowd pleaser. We love it for midweek meals with family and friends.
- 1kg Saddleback pork shoulder skin removed
- 1 onion finely diced
- 1 carrot finely diced
- 1 stick of celery finely diced
- 6 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- a large sprig of thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 300ml red wine
- 500g sieved tomatoes
- pappardelle pasta
- oil for cooking
- Place a heavy-based pan over a moderate heat, pour in a couple of table spoons of cooking oil. When hot place the pork shoulder in the pan and brown all over. Remove the shoulder from the pan and set aside.
- Add a further drizzle of oil to the pan followed by the onion, carrot and celery and cook until tender. Once the vegetables are soft add the garlic and herbs to the pan and continue to cook for 2-3 minutes then add the wine.
- Using a wooden spoon scrape any bits that are stuck to the bottom of the pan and cook the wine at a rolling boil until it has reduced by half.
- Lower the heat and add the sieved tomatoes followed by the pork shoulder. Bring to a simmer then lower the heat to its lowest setting so that the liquid is only just bubbling then place the lid on the pan. The pork shoulder will take between 4-5 hours to cook so you will need to add a little water every now and then to prevent the sauce from drying out.
- Once the shoulder is cooked and very tender, use a pair of forks to shred it into the sauce. Check the seasoning and serve on top of freshly cooked Pappardelle pasta with shaved parmesan.
Register your interest
To be the first to know about when we're opening up our store to new customers, fill out your details below.
Please enter your login details to access your account.
Reset your Password
We will send you an email to reset your password.