Osso Buco Alla Pipers Farm
Number of Servings
As the nights draw in we demand bowls of hearty comfort food, food that nourishes and restores at this chilly time of year. Osso Buco literally translates to 'hollow bone' and that is the joy of this recipe, rich meat, collagen packed sauce, an unctuous marrow to scoop and savour, and a hollow bone to gnaw on.
- 3 slices of Osso Buco
- 50g plain flour seasoned with salt and pepper
- 50g butter
- 2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 2 sticks of celery finely chopped
- 2 onions finely chopped
- 1 carrot finely chopped
- 1 large glass of wine
- 500ml beef stock
- Dust the osso buco shin in the seasoned flour, shaking off any excess.
- In a large casserole dish heat the butter, add the shin and cook all over until nicely browned, then remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the garlic, celery, onions and carrots to the pan and cook until softened.
- Return the shin to the pan carefully, so the marrow stays in place. Pour in the wine and leave to reduce by half.
- Add the stock, bring to a simmer and then cook for about 2 hours. You can either do this on the hob or place in an oven preheated to 120C. During the cooking keep checking to make sure the pot hasn’t dried out, add a little more wine or stock if needed.
- Serve with a classic Milanese risotto, or simply with buttery mash.