Chicken & Orzo Broth
Number of Servings
The perfect bowl of goodness for a summer's day. Fulfilling and nourishing this is a lovely dish to add to your repertoire.
- 250g leftover roast chicken (or fresh chicken stir-fry)
- 125g orzo pasta
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 large carrot finely chopped
- 2 sticks of celery finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- A sprig of thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 750ml pure chicken broth
- 1 tin of mixed bean salad drained
- 2 small heads of spring greens shredded
- For the Salsa Verdé
- A small bunch basil
- A hand full of parsley
- Juice of half a lemon
- 50ml olive oil
- 1 small clove garlic
- Salt and pepper
- First, prepare the salsa verde. Place all the ingredients in the jug of a blender and blend until smooth. Transfer to a bowl, cover and set to one side to allow the flavours to develop.
- To make the soup, place a large cast iron pan over a moderate heat. Add a little oil and gently fry the onion, celery and carrot. Cook until the vegetables have softened and then add the garlic.
- Add the chicken, thyme, bay leaf and pure chicken broth. Bring to a gentle simmer and add the orzo pasta and beans. Return to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes or so, until the pasta is tender.
- Add the spring greens for the final 3 minutes of cooking.
- Serve in warmed bowls finished with a spoonful of salsa verde and chunks of really good crusty bread.