The perfect bowl of goodness for a summer's day. Fulfilling and nourishing this is a lovely dish to add to your repertoire.
- 250g leftover roast chicken (or fresh chicken stir-fry)
- 125g orzo pasta
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 large carrot finely chopped
- 2 sticks of celery finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- A sprig of thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 750ml pure chicken stock
- 1 tin of mixed bean salad drained
- 2 small heads of spring greens shredded
- A small bunch basil
- A hand full of parsley
- Juice of half a lemon
- 50ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small clove garlic
- Salt and pepper
First, prepare the salsa verde. Place all the ingredients in the jug of a blender and blend until smooth. Transfer to a bowl, cover and set to one side to allow the flavours to develop. To make the soup, place a large cast iron pan over a moderate heat. Add a little oil and gently fry the onion, celery and carrot. Cook until the vegetables have softened and then add the garlic.
Add the chicken, thyme, bay leaf and pure chicken broth. Bring to a gentle simmer and add the orzo pasta and beans. Return to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes or so, until the pasta is tender. Add the spring greens for the final 3 minutes of cooking.
Serve in warmed bowls finished with a spoonful of salsa verde and chunks of really good crusty bread.